Your dream has always been to open up your own bagel shop and help people jumpstart their day with delicious breakfast foods and now you are ready to take a plunge. Now what?
One of the big decisions you have to make early on is whether or not you should open your own bagel business or to join a bagel franchise. Here is why a bagel franchise is better than owning your own bagel business:
You Are Not Doing It Alone
One of the biggest incentives of choosing to invest in a bagel franchise is that you will have a support structure to help you get started. This is something you don’t have when you are opening a bagel business on your own. With a fast bagel franchise, the franchisor offers you training for you and your staff and will help you find your location and prepare for your grand opening. If you are new to being a business owner, this is especially attractive.
You Get Brand Power
There are a lot of popular bagel franchises like Shmagel’s Bagels who have strong brands that people immediately recognize. By choosing to go into the bagel franchise, you will benefit from sharing in the brand recognition.
Still Room for Creativity
Although there is a definition structure and process to each bagel franchise, there are still opportunities for you to put your own personal stamp on your location. When you are researching and shopping around, make sure to ask what the rules and regulations are for each individual franchise. If some individual freedom is important to you, don’t sign on until you have the reassurances that you will have some creative control.
For example, many bagel shops also offer fun and delicious sandwich options to keep customers coming back for lunch and dinner, even a midday snack. Bagels aren’t just for breakfast and there are plenty of ways to think outside the box.
An Affordable Business Venture
Also keep in mind that a bagel franchise is generally going to be an affordable business venture than owning your own bagel business. On your own, every little cost is on your shoulders, but with a bagel franchise, you pay a reasonable fee to be able to use the resources of the parent company.
It is Easier to Expand as a Franchisee
Because bagel franchises are generally more affordable than opening your own bagel business, it will be a lot easier for you to buy and open multi-units which will even further secure your place in bagel industry. A lot of franchisors also prefer you to open multi-units and will offer you special incentives to help you do so.
The bottom line is you have to be honest with yourself about if you have the right personality for being a franchisee. If you don’t like having to follow someone else’s rules, then a franchise might not be the right option for you.
If you do think the franchise route is right for you, make sure you do a lot of research before choosing a franchise program to join. As you investigate different bagel franchises, you should ask yourself the following questions:
- Are there certain values that are important for potential franchisor to have?
- Is there a viable market for this?
- How much are initial start-up costs? Is this doable for me?
- How long does it take to see a profit? Do I have enough money to keep everything afloat till then?
- Does the franchisor offer adequate training and ongoing support? What do they offer for advertising and marketing?
- Where will my franchise unit be located? Will I get rights to certain territory?
- Are there any bankruptcies or legal problems in the franchisor’s present or past?
- Are the franchisor’s trademarks federally registered?
- Does the franchisor compete with its franchisees in the same market?
- What are your financing options?
- If they offer training, where will it take place and for how long? Will it cost additional money?
Consider Shmagel’s Bagels
At Shmagel’s Bagels, their specialty is fresh bagel creations baked daily. Right now they have two locations in Ocean City, MD and are looking to expand. They have plenty of franchising opportunities and will work closely with you to make sure your locations are a success.
Here is what you can expect when you join the Shmagel’s Bagels family:
- An established, highly popular brand that will draw in the customers
- A proven business model that includes recipes for all their special Shmagel creations, including Bagelninis which are bagels flipped inside-out and pressed
- The ability to own multiple locations
- A low cost of entry that makes Shmagel’s Bagels one of the more affordable franchising opportunities out there
- A variety of fun and delicious bagel flavors including Apple Cinnamon, Asiago, Blueberry Chocolate Chip, Cinnamon Raisin, Egg, Everything, French Toast, Garlic, Jalapeño, Marble Onion, Poppy, Plain, Pumpernickel Rainbow, Rye, Sesame, Spinach Sun-Dried Tomato, Very Berry Wheat Bran w/ Outs and Whole Wheat
- Catering opportunities for parties, corporate functions, festivals and other types of events
At Shmagel’s Bagels, the bagels are baked fresh every morning. They also offer a variety of cream cheeses and other popular bagel toppings, shmuffins as well as some fun sandwich options like a Turkey Jack Melt bagelnini or a Bagel Grill Cheese. The menu offers enough variety to please all your customers, but is still manageable for you and your staff.
One must-have ingredient for any prospective Shmagel’s Bagel franchisee is to have a passion for breakfast. Can you eat breakfast all day long? Do you enjoy making people happy by offering them a fulfilling breakfast to fuel their day?
Shmagel’s Bakery has been growing in leaps and bounds. Every year, more and more Americans are choosing bagels as not only their top breakfast food, but their favorite food all day long. Now is the perfect time to come join their family.
For more information about the benefits of franchising over opening your own business, and about the unique Shmagel’s brand, call them today. You can also visit their website for more information.
Don’t let you dream of being a bagel shop owner lay dormant any longer. Get started on the road to being your own boss today.